Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Medical Pioneer

This is NOT an article about a major breakthrough in medical research, a cure of any sort of disease, nor an advancement of any technology that would help the medicine practice. This is an article about Snuggies. "Snuggies?" You might ask. Yes, Snuggies!

Imagine yourself lying in a hospital bed, on a mattress, most likely with a sleep number rating of five-hundred, with a sheet covering you that has a thread count of one, and a piece of fabric so stiff and rough it's a shame it is even considered a blanket. Not to mention that it is most likely thirty-degrees in the room and you are wearing a thin, scratchy, piece of material they call a hospital gown, which numbers of people have worn before you.

Now imagine yourself lying in that same uncomfortable bed, with the same uncomfortable sheet, and the same uncomfortable "blanket", but this time sporting a trendy, soft, and comfortable Snuggie. That's right; I am talking about Snuggie hospital gowns!

These are not just any normal Snuggies, these would have a revolutionary new design, with a slit down the back, much like normal hospital gowns, but with new style aerodynamics to keep more cold air out, but still provide the much needed access from the back and with much desired breathability.

Now you may be thinking, "This can't be done, it is too expensive." And to that I call out, "Shenanigans!" Hell, you can order two snuggies and two book lights for just 19.95, imagine how much cheaper it would be if health care companies mass ordered Snuggie gowns.

I am a true believer that hospitals should cover the cost for the patient to feel comfortable, but even if they charged five-dollars for the Snuggie, it would be better than the germ infested rags they use now. I know I would rather pay a few extra dollars, instead of having my body touch a gown that was worn by a lot of other naked bodies in the days prior. Here's an idea, how about if a patient's bill reaches over a thousand-dollars it just gets thrown in? I think that's fair.

It may not be a huge breakthrough in medical research or the medical field at all, but I think it is fair to say that patients deserved to be comfortable. I feel Snuggie provides a product that could help, even if it is in a small way. Plus, it would just be an increase in business for them. A patient deserves to feel cozy during their stay, especially knowing the cost of a night’s stay. This may seem to be a tad outlandish and somewhat ridiculous, but to be honest, that's how I feel the current situation is.

Will this idea make me medical pioneer, that's not for me to say, but if I were you, I would jump on the Snuggy bandwagon and by some stock, that is if it is publically traded. With that being said, I do not work for Snuggy nor am I endorsed by the company in any way... yet!

2 comments:

krismn said...

That is a great idea!! Keep those coming and you will make it big someday...lol

Peggy said...

One word "copyright"! lol